Sunday, 2 November 2014

Phoenix Magazine - Analysis of Content

The last task of the half term was to analyze some school magazines to find out what content I will need in my magazine. The school magazines I analyzed are from King Edward VI High School for Girls.

The first magazine I examined was the Phoenix 2007 Edition.





The contents page is minimalistic, and the white background contrasts the black text, making it easy to read.
The contents is based heavily on creative and performing art subjects, along with extra-curricular work. It could be centered around these subjects because they are more active subjects, but it could also be purely because of the school's curriculum. However, performing arts is something I might include in my future magazine. The 'Trips and Expeditions' and 'KEHS News' sections act as an event and notices type of section in the magazine.

The second one I checked was the 2008 edition.







































Once again, the contents page is easy minimalistic and easy to read with the colour contrasts. This edition has more content than the previous one, and seems to be more focused on individuals rather than the school as a whole. There are pages on interviews and tributes with teachers. The contents of this edition also includes some of the school's history. Finally, this magazine also introduces reader interaction - something the previous magazine did not have.

So overall so far, the magazines are based heavily on the creative/performing arts subjects, and are very much for extra-curricular news. Teachers are also important to the school as they should know more than the students, but student interaction is also very important in school magazines, as they are the focus of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment