Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Making the Double Page Spread


This is one of my other models which will be used for my double page spread. Unfortunately, I wanted to use two models for my double page spread, the other being the same one featured on the front cover, but just like I had feared, our schedules clashed and I was unable to arrange a time for the both of them to join for the picture. This could have been achieved if the deadline was extended a bit longer or I had planned out my double page spread earlier whilst I was working on my contents page or front cover, so that I would already have an idea of what I wanted.
In the absence of my other model, I had to just take a second picture of an arm (pretending to be the original model) and try to use Photoshop to edit it into the first picture. Of course, this way, the image will not look as nice or complete, but I'm trying to make the best of what I have.



This is the product of my editing. Unfortunately, it is very obvious that the arm was edited into the larger picture, and this may make it visually unappealing. I may do a bit of editing on the brightness or colours to try and make it more appealing to the eye.
With regards to the mise-en-scène, I tried to bring out the rock-ish aspects of the model. For example, he's wearing black which the most commonly associated colour with rock stars and rockers. Along with that, given the context of the picture (an argument between the two rock stars), I wanted him to have a bowgun which brings out the violent nature of rock musicians. Linking to the musician lifestyle, a lot of them are seen to be quite artistic people, or people who appreciate art, which is another reason as to why I liked the setting I used, as there are multiple paintings in this setting. Unfortunately, I only saw as I began to edit the pictures that there was a really nice wolf painting that I could have used in the final picture for more symbolism of power or whatever, as wolves are usually nocturnal creatures and rock stars can be nocturnal too, as they have the colour scheme for it and are usually shown to have night-time party lives. The horse painting could represent freedom, and the disbanding of the band in this magazine could represent their own individual freedom from each other.
For the missing model, I just tried to incorporate an arm in there that we can pretend is his, holding a drumstick. Drums are used to great extent in rock music, so drumsticks would be appropriate to use.

I quickly used iPiccy which is a photo editing site to make the picture black and white, and personally I like the picture better this way, but I will experiment with which colours work best for the double page spread on InDesign. Using black and white may be more appropriate simply because of the colour symbolism and the fact that black (and sometimes grey) are colours commonly associated with the audience of the magazine.

I've used rulers to make a rough outline of the layout of my double page spread. I'm trying to go for a similar layout to the ones seen in the double page spreads I analyzed a while ago for the Classic Pop and Kerrang magazines.
It might just be my imagination but the arm/drumstick image is starting to look less edited, which may be due to the size of the image being smaller and also due to the black and white effect being added onto the image. I'm already really liking the black and white effect on the image.
By making the picture spread out onto the two pages, I am creating a bleed effect which is a code and convention used in every music magazine.


It's starting to fill up. On the left, I made a rectangle and changed the colour to the same shade of blue that was used for the semicircle in the contents page and this was mostly done to keep the colour scheme going as blue was the most commonly favoured colour in the results of my survey. Along with that, I have the brand name within that rectangle as well just to refresh the reader's memory of the magazine they're reading, and it also acts as filler. Underneath that, I have the name of the made up band (Son & Heir) to show the reader which band the article is about. I wanted to make the background colour for the band name blue as well as it is a royal colour, but I had already used that colour for the main rectangle background. I couldn't just leave the text by itself or it would not stand out, even with the large font.
In the corners of the pages, I have the page numbers which is a code and convention used in every single book, but is also important for navigation through the pages.

This is my finished double page spread. I am overall quite pleased with it but I still have some slight issues with the colours. As you can see, I gladly changed the colours on the far left side of the screen as one of my peers criticised the colour scheme for it and I agreed with them. I changed it to a grey colour and this allowed me to give "Son & Heir" a royal blue background to fit in with the theme of the band name. The colours on the far right can be unappealing to some people. Personally, my only issue is that yellow wasn't a favoured colour but I have to use it a lot because it fits so well with grey/black backgrounds. 
With the article text, I went for the white background and black/red text colour scheme again because it looks really good and fits in with a lot of things, especially here where grey a dominant colour. I used a drop cap to make the start of the page's text stand out and so that viewers can see where to start reading. It also follows the code and convention where every magazine utilises drop caps. Overall with the text, I tried to link it to music as much as I could, but I ended up giving it a political tone. It's alright though as rock music and politics are rarely ever got along with each other. 
I was originally going to include Benhart a lot more in my double page spread, but unfortunately, the model wasn't available for the picture so it wouldn't make sense to make a page about his character when he isn't even in the picture. However, I put some text indicating that Benhart does get his own double page spread in the next page (which I will never create).
The text started to get a little political about conservative views and social justice warriors, but I did this intentionally to fit in with one of the ideologies of rock musicians to stand out and create social change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment