Monday, 30 March 2015

Front Cover Images


This is the main image I will be using for the front cover of my magazine. I used this person as my model because I felt that his long hair and facial hair would fit well with the genre, as the stereotypical representations of rockers are that they have long hair by male standards. Along with this, he is wearing a long black trenchcoat which fits in with the mood of the genre being represented in my magazine, as rockers and rock music in general has been stigmatised in the past, so I thought that the colour black would be a good colour to use to represent the stigma attached to rock music. He also has claws on his right hand which represents power but this also induces some fear into readers.











After some editing around with the image on Photoshop, I managed to make this. I am leaning towards going for a black and white front cover due to my idea of the stigmatisation of rock being present on the cover through colour symbolism. I made some cuts to him by removing stray hairs and his shadow too which would have otherwise made future editing troublesome. However, the problem with this is that it is quite difficult to make a monochrome image stand out, and I also fear that the model himself will not stand out, so for these reasons I will not be using a monochrome front cover image.












After more editing around, I managed to create this, and have decided that this will be the edit that I will be using as my front cover image. I really like this one because the model stands out really well against the background and overall just looks intimidating, and a good representation of rock. One may also notice that the bottom of the original picture was cropped out and that the model is lower than in the original picture. This is because after I took my image and uploaded it, I immediately realized that the model's head was too high for my masthead to go anywhere, so I decided to crop the bottom out and move the model lower to make space for things I plan on placing at the top, such as the masthead, promotional item notification, price, etc.










This is a picture I took of one of my friends who acts as another model for my magazine. I will be using her on the front cover like I did in my first magazine by making her transparent (where the background is removed) and placing her on one of the lower corners of the page which will notify the readers of the fashion segment of the magazine. I wanted her to dress simple, which contrasts the heavy nature of rock music, but even on most rock magazines, you will see that a lot of the models are dressed very casually, and that is why I wanted her to dress simple too. Her colour scheme of black also fits in with the magazine genre too.








This is the finished result of me attempting to make her transparent for the magazine front cover. I am aware that there are some parts that a look a bit off and that is due to my shaky hands, but I am overall very pleased with this image. Next I need to change the size of it so it can fit in the corner of the front cover.





No comments:

Post a Comment